Modular Kernel Packaging for Cloud

Sandro "red" Mathys red at fedoraproject.org
Fri Mar 7 05:18:28 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 12:00 AM, drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 12:38 AM, Sandro "red" Mathys
> <red at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 1:45 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
>>
>> Exactly, you usually have hundreds or even thousands of instances
>> running. Sure, "every MB counts" isn't to be taken literal here, maybe
>> I should rather have said "every 10 MB count".
>
> I suggested this once before and got no real answer but if you are so
> disk space constrained wouldn't file system compression
> do what you want instead of trying to micoroptimize every package?

Because file system compression requires cpu cycles (i.e. cpu power
and time) and I think they are more valuable to most users than
storage. So, not optimizing the packages would probably be preferable
over compressing the file system. But trimmed down packages need less
space but no additional cpu cycles so it's a win-win from the user's
perspective.

-- Sandro