Modular Kernel Packaging for Cloud

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Fri Mar 7 13:23:15 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 2:16 AM, Sandro "red" Mathys
<red at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>> I think Josh is mostly there.  He has 58MB + 5M vmlinuz + <similar?>
>>> firmwre.
>>
>> Firmware is owned by linux-firmware, not the kernel package.  I didn't
>> include it in my kernel numbers for that reason.
>>
>>> He just has to cut 35MB or so from /lib/modules/.  We can probably nickel
>>> and dime and review a lot of cruft to get there, but what is that 35MB
>>> really doing to get us anything?  I am sure half of that can be removed by
>>> re-examining the minimal-list he sent (I can even help there).
>>
>> Right.  Considering the bloat elsewhere in the distro, I think we can
>> start with what I have and work from there if needed.
>
> Excellent progress there. So 35MB are already gone and I figure
> (re)moving graphics, sound and other obvious things will gain us quite
> some more MB. Nice job.

No.  62MB are already "gone".  The 35MB was what is needed
additionally to get to comparable numbers with ubuntu.  Sound I could
see dropping.  Graphics, not so much.

Really, I'm likely to start with what I have and if there are major
reasons that get brought up (with data) to trim further, we can look
at it.

josh