Modular Kernel Packaging for Cloud

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Fri Mar 7 15:13:16 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 10:06 AM, Don Zickus <dzickus at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 09:50:37AM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:

>> > I agree too.  I think you did an awesome job Josh.  Most of the fat is
>> > trimmed. :-)  Anything more should really come with some numbers/data.
>>
>> Don't get too heavy on the praise yet.  This still needs to be done at
>> the packaging level.  The changes to kernel.spec might make you want
>> to poke your eyes out or something ;).
>
> Oh, I thought you had the package split already into kernel-common and
> kernel-drivers?

I have the basics to create those packages and the kernel metapackage
done.  Right now they contain strictly /boot for kernel-core and
/lib/modules for kernel-drivers.  What I don't have done is the
swizzling around of certain modules to be in kernel-core yet.  The
numbers gathering was just hacking a local VM on the filesystem
directly.

So the next step is to translate that to the proper %files entries and
build/test.

> But yes I would be interesting in seeing those changes because that
> filters to RHEL eventually.  I can already see RHEL developers whining
> about extra packages to install... ;-)  Though all the kernel-tools stuff
> seemed to have gone smoothly...

Right.  As soon as I get something that seems like it boots in a VM
when you install it, I'll post the changes here for review.  The
current stuff I have done is in a COPR if you are _really_ itching to
see it:

http://copr-fe.cloud.fedoraproject.org/coprs/jwboyer/kernel-core/

DO NOT INSTALL THAT.  It's stale, won't boot, hasn't been tested, etc.
 I'll be building there for now as I work through things, but until
further notice it only exists to make sure things build.

josh