Fedora Atomic and Docker Host Image [was Re: Docker Host Image: Requirements?]

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Mar 11 01:35:48 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 8:26 PM, Steven Dake <sdake at redhat.com> wrote:

‘1’

I would say that there are many valid ways to provision and manage
machines, of which Heat/CloudFormation is one.  min-metadata-service
does exactly what it needs to do to provide the fundamental basis for
secure remote access to the machine, and with
https://github.com/cgwalters/min-metadata-service/issues/2
the guest will also be able to reach out and register on bootup
(perhaps by first pulling a docker container), which is all one needs
to implement higher order management tools.

And there implementation will stop =)

But I'd agree with you (and others have expressed this sentiment) that
we should be conservative with backing away from cloud-init in the near
future.

At least for Fedora Cloud.  That said, I am trying to create momentum
for a smaller but still useful core, ideally written in lovingly hand
crafted C code, with languages like Python and Ruby still *available*.

> I am a bit confused at the scope because min-metadata-server was
> mentioned early on, but is unnecessary if the target of this OS is to
> only run on hosts.

Running as a guest is definitely in scope.

> Ideally a python run time would still be available to run
> virtualization
> platforms like OpenStack.

Sure, of course.  No one is talking about making python unavailable.
Just possibly not installed by default in all builds.

>  Such a bare-bones operating system would make
> alot of sense, but I've copied a TripleO upstream developer (James)
> for
> his thoughts on atomic + ostree and its relationship to how TripleO
> handles continuous deployment through imaging.

I'm certainly interested in the discussion!  OSTree was made from the
very start to do continuous deployment - at the moment with rpm-ostree
I am restricting myself to merely accepting RPMs as input, so no
continuous integration.  But gnome-continuous is a custom build system
that takes git repositories and writes to the OSTree repository
directly (with no intermediate package step).