Fedora Atomic and Docker Host Image [was Re: Docker Host Image: Requirements?]

Steven Dake sdake at redhat.com
Tue Mar 11 13:57:13 UTC 2014

On 03/11/2014 05:09 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 07:46:11PM -0700, Steven Dake wrote:
>> I think what is needed is two things a) a general purpose guest
>> image b) a tidy host image.  We don't want to threaten our
>> guest-image by making it non-general purpose.  The host-image can be
> I think some key context may have been lost here, causing some degree of
> general panic. The *primary* Fedora Cloud image will be, and I think always
> will be, flexible and general purpose.

Thanks, I thought the proposal was to do this for the general cloud image.

> We're additionally going to make several more tailored images for specific
> purposes, and I was proposing both rpm-ostree and min-metadata-service for
> one of those, an image made specifically for Docker. From there, I wanted to
> at least consider whether min-metadata-service should be the standard and
> cloud-init an expanded case.
>
> The problem with cloud-init isn't just bloat (although there is a lot of
> that). The problem is that we haven't really done the work to make it really
> integrate nicely with Fedora. (With no disrespect to Garrett -- it was a lot
> of hard work to get it running to the largely-functional degree that it is
> at now.) So in thinking about it, I wondered if it might be better overall
> to build min-metadata-service up to the level of functionality we need
> rather than to try and reforge cloud-init. It may very well be that Heat is
> a showstopper in that line of thinking. But in that case, I'd _really_ like
> to see an effort around really making cloud-init _ours_.

After speaking with Steve Baker last night, we discussed transitioning
off cloud-init as a possibility.  What we are considering transitioning
to is the os-*-* python tools.  The general idea is these tools would
replace cloud-init long term for the Heat use case.  We can't make such
changes until Juno wraps up (November).

Regards
-steve