Process to Create New Cloud Images?

Sandro "red" Mathys red at fedoraproject.org
Fri Mar 14 15:02:27 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 11:57 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 08:29:09PM +0900, Sandro red Mathys wrote:
>> I see we're now using the spin-kickstarts git, but do we also follow
>> the usual Spin SIG processes?
>
> Dennis moved the kickstart, but there was no real discussion about process.
> I think, actually, we need to develop our own processes here. And we can
> talk with rel-eng about how that interacts with the spins process.
>
>> Or, to rephrase that: How do I start working on the Docker Host image?
>> I know, all the big changes are still up for discussion but I'd rather
>> be ready early so the actual work can start as soon as we know where
>> we're going.
>
> Sounds awesome. I guess the best way is to find the lightest process we can
> to get the kickstart into the spins repo and added to the list of
> automatically built images.
>

>> Also, how is a kickstart file turned into an image (most notably
>> automated nightly rawhide builds)? Do I open a ticket with rel-eng or
>> is there some other process?
>
> Yeah, a rel-eng ticket is probably best. There is a cron script which kicks
> it off. Currently, it's a "create appliance" task. When we get the Koji 1.9
> release and the ability to use its new functionality, we'll want to port it
> (both the cron tasks and the kludges in the kickstart) to use the
> anaconda/oz/imagecreator-based koji tasks. Hopefully RSN.

Do we have an ETA for Koji 1.9 in production? Are we sure it's going
to land in a useful timeframe (i.e. can we ignore the possibility that
we might need to stick to appliance-creator for F21)?

And should we switching to anaconda (in terms of kickstart file
migration) promote to a change or something? I think it's currently
not on any todo list.

-- Sandro