Modular Kernel Packaging for Cloud

Sandro "red" Mathys red at fedoraproject.org
Fri Mar 14 15:25:48 UTC 2014

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 12:06 AM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 03:46:02PM +0900, Sandro red Mathys wrote:
>> Yesterday, I updated to Josh's 2.5 kernel, then I removed kernel and
>> kernel-drivers, only leaving kernel-core. Today, I again updates, this
>> time 3.8 being available. Now guess what? The "install instead of
>> update" magic worked. I know have both kernel-core packages. So I
>> figure yum works this magic with any kernel* package.
>
> And this is why I should read all the mail before responding. :)
>
> How about the removal protection?

Oh, good catch. Also, that's a funny one.

So, you can't remove the currently running kernel-core. As expected.

BUT, you can remove the currently running kernel/kernel-drivers.
That's good because we want those packages to be optionally
(un)installable but bad because if you actually require
kernel-drivers, well, it's obviously bad.

Not sure if there's a good fix to this. We'd either limit people to
only being able to get rid of kernel-drivers with some dancing around
with different kernel versions and some rebooting, etc. Or we allow
people to remove the kernel-drivers of the running kernel which
defeats the purpose of the protection. #leSigh

Oh (#2), and here, dnf actually differs from yum. dnf protects *none*
of the packages. So that's definitely a bug and I'll report it once we
know exactly what behavior we want (so that yum and dnf will do the
same thing).

-- Sandro