Modular Kernel Packaging for Cloud

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Mar 14 15:59:20 UTC 2014

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 12:25:48AM +0900, Sandro red Mathys wrote:
> Not sure if there's a good fix to this. We'd either limit people to
> only being able to get rid of kernel-drivers with some dancing around
> with different kernel versions and some rebooting, etc. Or we allow
> people to remove the kernel-drivers of the running kernel which
> defeats the purpose of the protection. #leSigh

I think the first is preferable; the main case where you get a kernel
without the drivers package is when you're building something intended to be
small, and going downwards isn't the way to really do that.

> Oh (#2), and here, dnf actually differs from yum. dnf protects *none*
> of the packages. So that's definitely a bug and I'll report it once we
> know exactly what behavior we want (so that yum and dnf will do the
> same thing).

Apparently this is by design in dnf; it's one of the features they didn't
see as valuable. Which is funny to me because that was the case with yum
initially too (we wrote it as a plugin for that reason) but over time it
became a core feature).