32 bit AMI registration boot problem: explaination and possible solutions

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 3 22:33:04 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 5:22 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 03, 2014 at 05:18:11PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> > Based on a couple of conversations I found about the Xen hypervisor
>> > and this error message, I believe the issue may be PAE.  Have to do
>> > some testing to confirm that.  have past versions used a PAE kernel?
>> Yes they have. Are we not getting PAE kernels on i386?
>
> Nice -- we are not. So if this is the problem, I recommend we drop i386
> from EC2 for the beta, and add this to the list of things we need test
> candidates for early-ish for final.

There's another issue with 32-bit kernels in Beta as well.  If you
have an AMD machine, it will oops when it tries to load the early
microcode.  Now, you think this wouldn't matter on Xen (or KVM)
because it's the host kernel that does the loading, but the issue does
show up there because of the nature of the bug.

This is fixed in rawhide and F21 now, but it didn't make the Beta
kernel.  How prevalent AMD host CPUs are in EC2, I have no idea.

josh