32 bit AMI registration boot problem: explaination and possible solutions

Andy Grimm agrimm at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 01:41:19 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 7:25 PM, Dusty Mabe <dusty at dustymabe.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 03, 2014 at 05:53:21PM -0500, David Gay wrote:

My rambling thoughts on this:

Do we have _any_ analytics on usage?  (launch stats from AWS, or
unique IPs hitting Fedora mirrors inside AWS, or ...)

I don't have any strong reason to want to keep it; I don't run 32-bit
anything.  But given that we do still formally support the arch in the
distro, I don't like knowing that it's completely broken.  If it can
be made to work (without undue burden on the kernel folks, who
certainly have better things to do), we should.  Blocking the beta on
this if other 32-bit installs work does not seem necessary to me,
though.

FWIW, there are only 4 AWS instance types where 32-bit is supported
(t1.micro, m1.small, m1.medium, and c1.medium), and what's _really_
funny is that none of them have more than 3.7 GB or RAM (so PAE serves
no purpose).  It seems like the use case for these would be pretty
narrow, given that the price/performance of m3 and t2/t3 are generally
better.  As Garrett likes to remind us, there's the large ephemeral
disk factor on the m1/c1 types, but I don't know how many people care
about that.

As for how to actually deal with the problem, since the system is
booting and just doesn't appear to be getting a network connection, I
suspect we can add some debugging info at boot-time to figure out
what's going on.  I'll try to come up with a script that'll dump some
useful data to the console for us.  That could be generally useful,
anyway.  (cloud-init already does some of this, except that it doesn't
ever get run if the NIC isn't present)

--Andy