32 bit AMI registration boot problem: explaination and possible solutions

Mike Ruckman roshi at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 4 05:51:51 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 03, 2014 at 07:25:28PM -0500, Dusty Mabe wrote:
> I would love to get rid of the 32bit AMIs. That being said, is this a "knee jerk"
> reaction? Typically it's best to make changes like this with planning involved
> and sufficient notice of the change so the community can prepare.
>
> Again, I'm all for getting rid of them. Just want to make sure we think about everything.
>
> Dusty

I wasn't meaning it to come across as a knee jerk reaction - I was just curious
after thinking about who *uses* a 32bit image when a 64bit is available?
Especially for cloud where 64bit is supported everywhere someone might be
launching our image from.

The thing I thought about was perhaps there's some package people run on a
regular basis that was only available in 32bit - but then again, if it was a
commonly used package it's likely (if not for certain) there is a x86_64 version
of it in the repos already.

All that being said, I just figured I'd ask if we still need a 32bit AMI. I was
counting on everyone else having more background knowledge into this than I
have :)

--
// Mike