urgent(ish): heat-cfntools -> python-boto -> python3 -> sad

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 10 19:27:11 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 04:34:50PM +0000, Steven Hardy wrote:
> > hey all. heat-cfntools requires python-boto, which requires python3,
> > which shouldn't happen before we're ready to transition to python3
> > overall.
> When you say "requires" python3, you're saying that boto now works only
> with python3?  I've probably missed some context if so, can you provide any
> links to clarify why that's happened?

I mean, the package pulls it in. I haven't investigated the details.

Oooh. Hmmmmm maybe this is just a problem which will go away if
python-boto is pulled in _explicitly_ -- I see that python3-boto is
actually a subpackage. Let me look into that more.

> We (the heat community) are happy to help drive resolution of this, it's
> just something of an unexpected issue tbh :(

Yeah. We need to get "dependency explosion detection" into our nightly
checks so we know immediately.

> I appreciate the frustration, but it feels a bit like heat-cfntools is the
> messenger here, with boto being the real problem?

Probably :). Or possibly the real problem is "implicit depsolving
chosing the wrong thing".

> Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll try to get it sorted for
> the change deadline.

Thanks Steve!

--
Matthew Miller