urgent(ish): heat-cfntools -> python-boto -> python3 -> sad

Ryan Brown rybrown at redhat.com
Mon Nov 10 19:31:52 UTC 2014

Just talked to gholms, and the python3 dep is a bug and he's removed it
in this build[1].

I'd still be in favor of a longer term plan to drop the boto dep, but we
should probably do more evaluation on what functionality we'd lose. This
could be a candidate for an optional dependency down the road.

[1]: http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=591757

On 11/10/2014 11:34 AM, Steven Hardy wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 08, 2014 at 01:39:47PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> hey all. heat-cfntools requires python-boto, which requires python3,
>> which shouldn't happen before we're ready to transition to python3
>> overall.
>
> When you say "requires" python3, you're saying that boto now works only
> with python3?  I've probably missed some context if so, can you provide any
> links to clarify why that's happened?
>
> On the face of it either upstream or the package maintainer forcing python3
> vs providing Py3k compatibility seems like a pretty impressively
> user-hostile change :(
>
>> This has a _significant_ impact on image size now that the python-boto
>> dep is gone from cloud init. Having _one_ python requirement is bad
>> enough but it's egregious to pull in both 2 and 3.

>> 1. does heat-cfntools hard-require python-boto?
>
> Right now, yes, but if we have to it can be reworked to break that
> requirement.
>
>> 2. can we use a python-boto that isn't python3 before we're ready?
>>    (there was supposed to be a coherent plan for this!)
>
> Yes, this sounds like the best short-term fix while we work on (1).
>
>> 3. should we drop heat-cfntools for f21?
>
> We'd really prefer it if you didn't, please :)
>
> We (the heat community) are happy to help drive resolution of this, it's
> just something of an unexpected issue tbh :(
>
> Historically boto has broken us more regularly than any other dependency
> though, so it may not be a bad thing to break that dependency anyway.  I'm
> not sure if we can do it in the next 7 days, so planning for (2) sounds
> like the best plan right now, if possible.
>
>> Agents are a pain. :(
>
> I appreciate the frustration, but it feels a bit like heat-cfntools is the
> messenger here, with boto being the real problem?
>
> Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll try to get it sorted for
> the change deadline.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Ryan Brown / Software Engineer, Openstack / Red Hat, Inc.