initramfs on F21 beta image is corrupt?

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 11 18:44:31 UTC 2014

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 12:24:02PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> If it doesn't look like that, then something is indeed odd.
>
> The output of "lsinitrd" does, indeed, look more sane...but now I am
> confused by the fact that running "dracut -f" does not seem to result
> in the same thing (an initramfs image with the early microcode stuff
> prepended).

OK, I think I figured this out.

The images created in koji have the microcode_ctl package installed.
That is what provides the microcode, so when the initramfs is created
it has the early ucode prepended.  The cloud image itself, however,
does not have microcode_ctl so when dracut -f is run it can't include
the microcode.  That's fine in a cloud image because the host
OS/kernel should be doing the microcode loading anyway on the physical
CPUs.

I think everything is working fine here.

josh