Adding open-vm-tools package to Fedora Atomic

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 16:09:11 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:
> Hi Ravindra,
>
> At the moment, we do not have a formal process for this.  The problem is
> further compounded by the fact that there is only one tree.  Meaning that
> open-vm-tools would end up even on other deployment targets such as bare
> metal, AWS/GCE, etc.
>
> At a high level, we are trying to coalesce around cloud-init as much as
> possible as the core agent.  It looks to me like a lot of open-vm-tools is
> desktop focused.  The main bits here would be folder sharing, memory
> ballooning?

They don't really do the same thing. My understanding is that
cloud-init is for the initial runtime configuration like user
creation, injection of ssh keys and kicking off an orchestration tool
where as open-vm-tools is for run time management of VMware VMs such
as safe shutdown and general health reporting of the guest to vCenter.
On the oVirt/OpenStack/KVM side there's the similar qemu-guest-agent
and no doubt hyper-V will have similar.

> Have you looked at running open-vm-tools as a (likely privileged) container?

It needs some fairly low level "HW" access, not sure how that would
work containerised.

Peter