Atomic Updates - do we follow traditional model or a new one?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 8 13:55:23 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 08, 2014 at 12:26:43AM -0400, James Antill wrote:
>  At least one view of the model is that you have atomic upgrades, and
> thus. rollback/downgrades. This fits perfectly with the f21/f21/f23
> release model (although "rpm-ostree rebase" is very surprising when it
> deletes your refs, you can still atomic downgrade).
>  Certainly one of the benefits of ostree, to me, is that it should be
> possible to freely move between N stable releases.

I agree. And since we're making the packages from which the Atomic versions
will be composed, what's the _downside_ of making releases available as
distinct releases? Since it's produced from RPMs that we're making
automatically, isn't it basically something we can offer to users with very
little effort?

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>