Atomic Updates - do we follow traditional model or a new one?

Joe Brockmeier jzb at redhat.com
Wed Oct 8 14:48:19 UTC 2014

On 10/08/2014 09:36 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 08, 2014 at 09:19:41AM -0500, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
>> I see a few downsides:
>> * Having to test multiple releases. Not sure that quite fits under "very
>> little effort." (Maybe someday when we have automated testing, that will
>> be different.)
>
> I'm not sure that follows... we'll have to test the new release no matter
> what, and the old release is just the previous one we tested.

Right, but we need to keep regenerating the tree/image, right? And
actually testing it?

So, when we have a thing like shellshocked, we would be testing Atomic
20 and 21, instead of just 21.

>> * Undermining the model that Atomic is supposed to support - which is
>> "you only care about the host as a way to run containers". As long as
>> Fedora 22 - 23 - 24 don't break anything within the set of functionality
>> they're supposed to offer (running containers, offering orchestration,
>> etc.) users *should not care* that it's Fedora 21 or 22.
>
> Yeah, but... reality isn't going to be that pretty. Also, if we're looking
> to bring Atomic to more of Fedora than just the cloud guest, I think people
> will find this less scary.
>
>> Telling users to worry about whether it's Fedora 21 or 22 or whatever
>> kind of reinforces old habits that this is supposed to get us away from.
>
> Especially as this develops, if we want to get people actually using it but
> still be able to make big changes to how it works (especially wrt
> orchestration and higher levels), having six month release points where
> users can transition at their own pace seems appealing. We can maybe look at
> discontinuing older versions sooner than the normal 7 month overlap.

Kinda agree, but OTOH, we'll be "taking something away" if we change the
model later.

But, I'm getting the feeling I'm the lone voice here, so I'll go with
the flow.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier | Principal Cloud & Storage Analyst