[DRAFT] Changes to Working Group structure

Joe Brockmeier jzb at redhat.com
Thu Oct 9 14:00:27 UTC 2014

Hi all,

As discussed last week, we need to make some changes to the language
about choosing members of the CWG.

Current:

Membership
----------

The Fedora Cloud Working Group has nine voting members, one selected by
the Fedora Engineering Steering Committee as the liaison to FESCo, and
the others initially selected by the FESCo liaison.

Because continuity is important, Working Group members serve as long as
they are able and willing. Each voting member of the working group will
confirm their continued membership every six months. When a position in
the group becomes available, that position will be filled by unanimous
consent of the existing members.

Suggested Change:
-----------------

The Fedora Cloud Working Group will have a minimum of five voting
members, one selected by the Fedora Engineering Steering Committee
(FESCo) as the liaison to FESCo, and the others to be approved by a lazy
majority of the existing Working Group members.

Because continuity is important, Working Group members serve as long as
they are able, willing, and active. There is no upper cap on Working
Group Members, but members may be removed from active status after
sustained inactivity or on majority vote of the rest of the Working Group.

Current:

Making Decisions
and if there is no controversy or dissenting views with a few days,
simply done.

For bigger issues, where there may be disagreement, or where there is
long-term impact, or where an action may not easily be undone, we will
use a ticketing system for voting https://fedorahosted.org/cloud/.
Working group members can vote +1 to approve, -1 to disagree, or 0 to
abstain; five +1 votes are necessary for a measure to pass. Non-members
may comment on the ticket and (of course) discuss on the mailing list,
but are asked to refrain from putting votes in the ticket.

Suggested Change:

Making Decisions
discussed, and if there is no controversy or dissenting views with a few
days, simply done.

In some cases a vote may be required if:
- Consensus cannot be reached through discussion.
- There's a long-term impact.
- An action cannot easily be undone.

When a vote is required, we will use the Trac ticketing system for
voting at https://fedorahosted.org/cloud/. Working group members can
vote +1 to approve, -1 to disagree, or 0 to abstain; a majority of +1
votes are necessary for a measure to pass. Non-members may comment on
the ticket and (of course) discuss on the mailing list, but are asked to
refrain from putting votes in the ticket.

# # #

Thoughts, comments, flames?

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier | Principal Cloud & Storage Analyst