[X-POST] Script to convert Fedora Cloud instance to Fedora Server instance

Kushal Das kushaldas at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 04:43:30 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 5:51 AM, Haïkel <hguemar at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Works for me, I like the fact that the script is limited to Python
> standard library not to add new dependencies.
>
> Few considerations:
> 1. there were some discussions about dropping Python from the base
> cloud image. The rationale was to get the smallest viable image for
> most usage, not everyone uses Python.
> There are two blockers: cloud-init (could be replaced by
> min-cloud-agent), yum (could be replaced by a libhif-based alternative
> or already replaced by rpm-ostree/docker in the Atomic image)
> Note that we could provide different image flavours including one with Python.

Understood, I am sure we will discuss more on this in a different thread :)

> 2. If we're gonna use yum/dnf, I suggest using the API
> https://github.com/fedora-cloud/cloudtoserver/pull/2

The only reason I never used the raw API because I do not want to
reimplement the swap logic in my code. It is easier to use the system
commands directly and I have other projects which showed this can be
easier to maintain.

Note: The biggest reason to avoid system commands through shell is
performance, which is not a problem in our case.

> 3. I don't like hard-coding packages to be installed/removed/etc ...
> in the script. I suggest that we use a configuration file, could be
> shipped in the package or retrieved online (if you have no network,
> you can't adopt your cattle anyway :) )

I agree, /etc/cloudtoserver.conf is this filename sounds good?

> 4. If the processing of adopting your cattle, it would be interesting
> to allow users select server roles to be installed.

Okay, I will ping you to know more on this.

Kushal
--
Fedora Cloud Engineer
CPython Core Developer