More on terminology (or, did we settle that yet?)

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Tue Oct 28 10:17:02 UTC 2014

On 10/27/2014 03:52 PM, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I can't quite recall where we landed on the terminology for Docker
> images, containers, etc. Was reading an OpenShift blog today and this
> is how they're defining container/image:
>
> Docker image:  Defines a filesystem for running an isolated Linux
> process (typically an application)
>
> Docker container: Running instance of a Docker image with its own
> isolated filesystem, network, and process spaces.
>
> Not sure if this clarifies things, or muddies them...
>
> See: https://blog.openshift.com/openshift-v3-deep-dive-docker-kubernetes/
That is how I would define it.

I usually describe it as content at rest, with no processes running on
them as an Image, or multiple layered images.
Once you start a process running on an image you get a container.  The
weird parts is that when the processes of a container stop, you still
have a container, until the container is deleted or "committed" as a new
layered image.