[Base] Terminology for docker/atomic images

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Mon Sep 8 13:28:20 UTC 2014

On 09/07/2014 11:22 PM, Dusty Mabe wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Per discussion in the #fedora-cloud meeting last Friday I would like to
> start a thread about the names of the Docker and Atomic deliverables for F21.
>
> I know of at least a few cases where there has been confusion regarding
> what deliverable has been the subject of a conversation on IRC as a result
> of the current terminology. I've seen the docker and atomic referred to as:
>
>      Docker Image
>      Atomic Image
>      Docker Host Image
>      etc...
>
> It seems like the one that sparks the most confusion is "Docker Image".
> Usually when I see "Image" I think a VM bootable image (i.e. virtualization,
> not containers/Docker). A progression from that misunderstanding could lead
> one to think that "Docker Image" is the VM disk image I can use to boot a
> host that will run the Docker daemon and thus run containers.
>
> I think it would be nice to help ourselves and our users along by separating
> the terminology a bit such that it is hard to confuse what is a VM disk
> image vs. what is an image for use with Docker.
>
> Here is a first stab at trying to make things clearer:
>

>      Docker Container Image - base container image - can be used with docker
>      Atomic Image           - minimal OS, Atomic updates, aka 'Docker Host'
I've always thought container and image were two distinct things.

Here's my take:

The image is the disk that is being used.  The container is the
Operating System construct.  The  Two combinded are the instance.

"My instance is a Fedora 21 base image running inside a KVM container."

"My instance is a Docker image of JBoss with RHQ in it running in a
container on CentOS 7"

Now...I realize that Docker does not see things this way.  Docker
containers are trying to be like a CONEX
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermodal_container)  that gets stuck on
the back of a train, a long haul truck, or a Maersk Oceanic Cargo Ship.
I think this acutally confuses things myself.