[Base] Terminology for docker/atomic images

Dusty Mabe dustymabe at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 14:03:54 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 08, 2014 at 09:29:12AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 7, 2014, at 11:22 PM, Dusty Mabe wrote:
> >
> > In a nutshell, it would be great if we added "Container" to references we
> > make to the container image (in conversation and docs).
>
> I tend to say "Docker Base Image" - that's the terminology upstream
> Docker uses: https://docs.docker.com/articles/baseimages/

I think in the context of Docker, i.e. when you already know you are
talking about the Docker daemon and Docker containers, then "Docker
Base Image" is clear enough.

I think when you don't have that context to begin with and you hear
"Docker Base Image" then it is not so clear. I'm fine with
incorporating their terminology so we can be more clear though:

    Docker Container Base Image ?

Unfortunately we have to balance clarity with convenience. The longer
it gets the more people won't like it so that is something to
consider.

Dusty