Non-atomic Vagrant images?

Ian McLeod imcleod at fedoraproject.org
Thu Apr 2 03:34:10 UTC 2015

On 04/01/2015 03:18 PM, Derek Carter wrote:
>>> changes.
>>> > >
>>> https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/spin-kickstarts.git/tree/fedora-cloud-base-vagrant.ks
>>> If we have images, I can test them today.
>>
>> Did anyone get a chance to do anything here? I know last week was a
>> busy week.
>

> I built and tested an image using Packer, but wasn't able to figure
> out what/where releng uses to build the images so I could verify that
> my non-flattened kickstart would work.
>
> Do we now have images coming out of the build system?

Apologies for the delayed reply on this.  I've made a few small tweaks
to this initial file and pushed them to my github fork of
spin-kickstarts here:

https://github.com/imcleod/spin-kickstarts/commit/e171dabdc57d208b08a5fca5351989ccf50197a7

Details are in the comments.  In short, this adds some direct-root
access points based on comments from @purpleidea, pulls in some ethernet
device naming kernel options and adds in the dnf yum compat layer.  I've
flattened this file and done some test builds (minus the zeroing of
blanks space, to save time during testing).  All seems well.  Most
recent successful build:

One final change, not captured in the kickstart, is to create a virtual
disk that is 40 GB by adding the "--disk-size=40" option when calling
the image creation in koji.  Vagrant boxes use COW-type formats (either
qcow2 for libvirt/kvm or sparse VMDK for virtualbox) and are meant for
fiddling/testing.  Having a lot of extra "virtual" space is helpful for
this use case.

-Ian