using fstrim to save some space in cloud images

Michael DePaulo mikedep333 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 18:00:11 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 6:45 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 06:12:00PM -0400, Dusty Mabe wrote:
>> Have we considered running fstrim against our cloud image filesystems
>> before we package it up? I wrote a small script to do it (inside a
>> container) at [1]. Looks like we can save ~28M:
>
> Yeah, we tried it before, and it was failing in the image build
> process. I don't remember the current state.

I am at Flock and I am very interested in helping with this.

I have used rsync (from a live CD) to "clone" old disk to a new disk
without copying over deleted files. That is very hard to automate
though. I tried it with Fedora cloud images in May and I achieved a
similar reduction in space.

-Mike