ecryptfs on F21 EC2 instance

Dusty Mabe dusty at dustymabe.com
Fri Aug 14 17:23:42 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 04:50:12PM -0400, Ron Wagner wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> If this is the wrong list, kindly point me to the correct one.
>
> I am trying to get ecryptfs running on a Fedora 21 EC2 instance on Amazon’s AWS service. Not having any luck whatsoever, I brought up a virtual F21 on my desktop computer in VMWare Fusion to test the procedure to get ecryptfs running, and was successful.
>
> Some info about my EC2 instance:
>
> AMI: Fedora-Cloud-Base-20141203-21.x86_64-us-east-1-0
> Kernel ID: aki-919dcaf8, Kernel image name:  pv-grub-hd0_1.04-x86_64.gz
> Kernel release: 4.1.4-100.fc21.x86_64
> Kernel version: #1 SMP Tue Aug 4 03:25:05 UTC 2015
> Virtualization: paravirtual
>
> When running ecryptfs-setup-private, I get the following error:
>
> 	ERROR:  Cannot get ecryptfs version, ecryptfs kernel module not loaded?
>
> I tried sudo modprobe ecryptfs and got the following error:
>
> 	modprobe: FATAL: Module ecryptfs not found.
>
> This command succeeded while testing on the VMWare instance.
>
> Looking at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Security_Features_Matrix it indicates that eCryptfs is an optional package in F21. Is this referring to the ecryptfs-utils package, or the kernel module, or both? Can  eCryptfs be used on an Amazon EC2 instance, and if so, how do I get the kernel module installed?

I don't have F21 up right now but I do have an F22 image running. For
F22 ecryptfs kernel module is in the kernel-modules package. You need
to install the kernel-modules packages for the kernel that is running
and then you can insert the module. I don't know if this is the same
case for F21 or not but check and see if that works for you.

Hope this helps,

Dusty