Atomic Host and the kernel

Jason Brooks jbrooks at redhat.com
Wed Aug 26 21:43:00 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----

atomic-devel at projectatomic.io is another good place

> I have two basic questions around the interaction of Atomic Host and
> the kernel.  The first is fairly straightforward: is there anything
> Atomic Host or the atomic toolset needs that the kernel does not
> provide today?  Missing features, bugs that have been hit but not
> fixed, etc.  I believe the answer is likely no, given that atomic is
> off and running fine and leverages hardlinks but I thought I would
> ask.

I don't think so -- I haven't heard of any such needs...

> The second question is a bit more involved.  Atomic provides the nice
> ability for rollback across the entire OS tree.  However, that
> requires an atomic image to be spun for every instance of that tree.
> That, naturally, means that whenever a new Atomic Host instance is
> spun it will use whatever kernel happens to be the latest in the
> Fedora release it is built from.  This means that one cannot leverage
> the nice side effect of being able to update the kernel independently
> of userspace.  (Which is also nice from a testing perspective when it
> comes to kernels and regressions.)
>
> To my understanding, the only way to provide such testing would be to
> create Atomic Host images that only deviate from the official images
> in that they provide a new kernel.  Then one could use the standard
> atomic tools to do testing and rollback of _only_ the kernel if a
> problem is detected.  While this is certainly possible, I'm not sure
> it is something the Cloud sig (or whomever) is really interested in
> doing.  On the kernel side, we could provide such images built on our
> own but I'm not sure the effort or duplication of
> tooling/infrastructure is worthwhile overall.  Particularly when
> non-atomic Rawhide continues to be flexible enough for these purposes.

My first thought is that the kernel in an atomic host should just
work, dammit! :)

There could be different trees reflecting different levels of
kernel maturity. If it's to be one tree, multiple kernels
shipping together, as you mention below, might be the best option --
there's still a grub menu, for choosing, but I'm not positive if
there'd be a conflict w/ any ostree rollback fu.

Jason