atomic, kubernetes, etc on non x86_64

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Fri Aug 28 12:26:17 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Last night I had some time to myself, I decided to look at what it would take
to get atomic running on arm. after having to tweak some of the json files.
the hardcoded ref in it if not flexible at all
-    "ref": "fedora-atomic/rawhide/x86_64/docker-host",
+    "ref": "fedora-atomic/rawhide/armhfp/docker-host",

Neither is the hardcoded packages,
-                "grub2", "grub2-efi", "ostree-grub2",
-                "efibootmgr", "shim",
+                "extlinux-bootloader",

the packages in every other part of our deliverables are dealt with by using
comps and yum/dnf skipping over missing things. Which made me curious about
how it was envisioned to support atomic on multiple arches as it seems to be
designed around a single arch silo.

However once I got past that I discovered that atomic and kubernetes both had
"ExclusiveArch: x86_64" in the spec files (Violating packaging guidelines in
the process) but they do actually build just fine for all the primary arches
and are installable on arm at least. I was able to make a atomic repo in the
end.  I plan to throw together a kickstart and attempt to install it as soon
as I can.

What will it take to fix the packaging and get people on board for supporting
the greater world?  could it be something we work with someone like
https://www.scaleway.com/ who have arm based cloud servers today to support?

Dennis