atomic, kubernetes, etc on non x86_64

Adam Miller maxamillion at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 28 13:45:50 UTC 2015

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 7:26 AM, Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Last night I had some time to myself, I decided to look at what it would take
> to get atomic running on arm. after having to tweak some of the json files.
> the hardcoded ref in it if not flexible at all
> -    "ref": "fedora-atomic/rawhide/x86_64/docker-host",
> +    "ref": "fedora-atomic/rawhide/armhfp/docker-host",
>
> Neither is the hardcoded packages,
> -                "grub2", "grub2-efi", "ostree-grub2",
> -                "efibootmgr", "shim",
> +                "extlinux-bootloader",
>
> the packages in every other part of our deliverables are dealt with by using
> comps and yum/dnf skipping over missing things. Which made me curious about
> how it was envisioned to support atomic on multiple arches as it seems to be
> designed around a single arch silo.
>
> However once I got past that I discovered that atomic and kubernetes both had
> "ExclusiveArch: x86_64" in the spec files (Violating packaging guidelines in
> the process) but they do actually build just fine for all the primary arches
> and are installable on arm at least. I was able to make a atomic repo in the
> end.  I plan to throw together a kickstart and attempt to install it as soon
> as I can.

This is awesome, let me know if you have something that you'd like
help testing. I have a spare TrimSlice that's currently sitting idle
and would love to see some Atomic action on it. :)

> What will it take to fix the packaging and get people on board for supporting
> the greater world?  could it be something we work with someone like
> https://www.scaleway.com/ who have arm based cloud servers today to support?

How do we do that? Is there an official avenue to pursue working with
cloud vendors? What was the process to get the Fedora Cloud image into
IaaS providers with fedimg? (I assume some sort of relationship has to
be established between Fedora as a project and the cloud provider)

-AdamM