atomic, kubernetes, etc on non x86_64

Troy Dawson tdawson at redhat.com
Fri Aug 28 14:40:27 UTC 2015

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 8:45 AM, Adam Miller <maxamillion at fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 7:26 AM, Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Last night I had some time to myself, I decided to look at what it would
> take
> > to get atomic running on arm. after having to tweak some of the json
> files.
> > the hardcoded ref in it if not flexible at all
> > -    "ref": "fedora-atomic/rawhide/x86_64/docker-host",
> > +    "ref": "fedora-atomic/rawhide/armhfp/docker-host",
> >
> > Neither is the hardcoded packages,
> > -                "grub2", "grub2-efi", "ostree-grub2",
> > -                "efibootmgr", "shim",
> > +                "extlinux-bootloader",
> >
> > the packages in every other part of our deliverables are dealt with by
> using
> > comps and yum/dnf skipping over missing things. Which made me curious
> about
> > how it was envisioned to support atomic on multiple arches as it seems
> to be
> > designed around a single arch silo.
> >
> > However once I got past that I discovered that atomic and kubernetes
> both had
> > "ExclusiveArch: x86_64" in the spec files (Violating packaging
> guidelines in
> > the process) but they do actually build just fine for all the primary
> arches
> > and are installable on arm at least. I was able to make a atomic repo in
> the
> > end.  I plan to throw together a kickstart and attempt to install it as
> soon
> > as I can.
>
> This is awesome, let me know if you have something that you'd like
> help testing. I have a spare TrimSlice that's currently sitting idle
> and would love to see some Atomic action on it. :)
>

> > What will it take to fix the packaging and get people on board for
> supporting
> > the greater world?  could it be something we work with someone like
> > https://www.scaleway.com/ who have arm based cloud servers today to
> support?
>
> How do we do that? Is there an official avenue to pursue working with
> cloud vendors? What was the process to get the Fedora Cloud image into
> IaaS providers with fedimg? (I assume some sort of relationship has to
> be established between Fedora as a project and the cloud provider)
>
> -AdamM

Send the scaleway people an email, letting them know you are asking
officially on behalf of Fedora cloud.
In my personal dealings, they have been very nice to work with.
I don't know how it came about, but I know that centos has 4 machines
dedicated to them.  I'm not saying that will happen, just saying it.

Troy