Size of base Fedora 32 Docker image

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Tue Jan 13 21:32:03 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 1:13 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 11:02:34AM -0800, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>> What's the process? I found grub2 and fedora-logos in my own testing
>> but didn't know about firewalld? Does one simply remove things and run
>> a test suite? *Is* there a test suite?
>
> No test suite yet. Help wanted. :)

Right now I have only two Fedora-based Docker images -
https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/znmeb/osjourno-rd/ is the most
active and the test suite is

a. Make sure it builds on Docker Hub
b. docker run
c. Browse to the RStudio Server and make all the documents from
templates (by hand).

I can probably automate the third step via Firefox but I haven't taken
the time to do that.

I am planning to integrate it with a PostgreSQL/PostGIS image and a
Redis image in the near future but I may use the "official" images
from Docker Hub (on a Debian base) rather than the ones in
"fedora-dockerfiles"..

> It's made from this kickstart —
> https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/spin-kickstarts.git/tree/fedora-docker-base.ks
>
> and fed through ImageFactory in Koji to produce a tarball of / as the
> output.

Given a working Docker image, is there some combination of 'docker
export', tar archive manipulation and 'docker import' that can achieve
the same effect? I tried just piping an export with packages removed
to an import, but that didn't make the image smaller.

>> How about dracut? Does that need to be there?
>
> It seems very unlikely.

BTW, this conversation is fractured between this mailing list thread
and the TRAC issue #66. We should merge the threads somehow.

> --
> Matthew Miller
> <mattdm at fedoraproject.org>
> Fedora Project Leader

OSJourno: Robust Power Tools for Digital Journalists
http://www.znmeb.mobi/stories/osjourno-robust-power-tools-for-digital-journalists

Remember, if you're traveling to Bactria, Hump Day is Tuesday and Thursday.