Size of base Fedora 32 Docker image

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Wed Jan 14 02:39:11 UTC 2015

I have some preliminary results in my OSJourno project
(https://bitbucket.org/znmeb/osjourno/src/fc32383d24137484d8b3fa2b7bff3afe436d8bd5/4Experimental/LiveMediaCreator/)

1. I couldn't find all the missing pieces for Image Factory (there's a
template file needed) so I did the build using livemedia-creator. It
took a couple of edits to get a working kickstart but that's in
osjourno-docker-base.ks.

2. If you remove kpartx, grub2, dracut and firewalld, systemd is
missing from the image, which errors the livemedia-creator install and
probably yields a non-functional Fedora anyhow. So I added systemd to
the kickstart.

3. The resulting image builds znmeb/osjourno-rd correctly and the few
run-time tests I did worked.

4. Sizes: original Fedora base: 250.2 MB, reduced image: 179.9 MB.
That's a saving of 78.3 MB and makes the Fedora image smaller than the
Ubuntu one.