[cloud] #112: Ultimately reducing the tools installed in the Fedora docker image, but first getting messaging and expectations right

Fedora Cloud Trac Tickets cloud-trac at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 13 10:12:41 UTC 2015

#112: Ultimately reducing the tools installed in the Fedora docker image, but
first getting messaging and expectations right
-------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  bex          |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  ---          |   Keywords:
-------------------------+--------------------
 See: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Bex/docker_image_reduction

 A quick examination of just commands loaded in /usr/bin showed significant
 differences between the F21 and F22 docker images. Consensus seems to be
 forming around the idea that the Fedora docker image should be composed of
 a minimum install of Fedora required to get dnf running. After that all
 tools desired by the consumer should be added by the consumer. This is
 inline with the "one process per container" philosphy that many people use
 when thinking about containers.

 However, we did ship more than a minimal image with F21 and we broke that
 expectation in F22. Additionally, other distributions are shipping images
 that contain some "non-minimal" tools, such as 'ps' or 'vi', therefore
 users may expect them be in the Fedora images.

 One solution is to include these tools today, but to explicitly note that
 they are not guaranteed to be included in future versions. Additionally,
 we should begin to encourage a new best practice of explicitly `dnf
 install`ing any tools needed. Today these installs will be noops, tomorrow
 they will actually do the install.

 The full list of proposed re-additions for F22 and ultimate deletions is
 on the wiki page

--
Ticket URL: <https://fedorahosted.org/cloud/ticket/112>
cloud <https://fedorahosted.org/cloud>