Fedora 22 is out, Fedora 23 is coming :)

Matt Micene nzwulfin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 15:19:51 UTC 2015

I'm curious about the drive to make the "base cloud image" as small as
possible and remove things like the Python stack.  It could be that I've
got a terminology issue (which also could be the case) tracking threads.

What's the expected use of the "base cloud image"?  The relevant download
page states:
"Everything you need, and nothing you don't."
"images for creating general purpose virtual machines (VMs)"

The drive to a small as possible and stripped down base image doesn't make
sense to me in that context.  General purpose compute for a modern system
would include things like dnf, python, full logging capabilities, without a
need to add a large number of packages.

If the drive to make the base image as small as possible is for docker
containers (as I've seen in other threads), there already exists a Docker
Base image.

What is base functionality in a container isn't the same as base
functionality for a general purpose system in AWS or OpenStack.

I guess I'm saying I'd like to be clear when we are talking about Cloud
Base vs Docker Base and make sure the relationship between them is clear
and the goals for each are clear.  Especially where changes could harm
adoption (Cloud Images without Python in AWS would be bad ).

-Matt M