Fedora 22 is out, Fedora 23 is coming :)

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 4 16:31:15 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 10:11 AM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 01, 2015 at 06:20:32PM +0530, Kushal Das wrote:
>> Below I have written few points which came up in different discussions.
>> Please feel free to comment/add/delete in this thread.
>
> * Better automation or at least SOP for release -> docker hub
>      - can we integrate this into fedimg?
>
> * Cloud providers: Azure, GCE, Digital Ocean, HP, others
>      - "push" is hard for us because of legal requirements;
>        can we make "pull" arragements?
>

> also, comments:
>
>> * Reduce the base cloud image size (we also have
>>   https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-badges/ticket/378 )
>
> I'm a little baffled by why it grew so much this time around; there's a
> few extraneous things in the package set, but not a lot new and
> egregious, yet it still grew.
>
>> * https://github.com/vmware/tdnf this might help us to go another step
>>   closer to remove Python stack from the cloud image.* Having a better
>
> We need to talk to Peter Jones about plans to rewrite grubby in Python.
> I'm very sympathetic to his wish to have it no longer be in C, but if
> we _really_ are moving to getting python out....

Er, can you elaborate on this desire to get python out?  I'm kind of
confused.  Particularly about why grubby is such a concern.  If you
don't have python, you don't have yum/dnf which means updating your
kernel in your cloud image at _runtime_ is a PITA.  If you aren't
updating your kernels at runtime and are instead relying on the whole
image to be respun (ala Atomic or otherwise) then you don't need
grubby anyway and it doesn't matter what language it's written in.

Secondly, isn't a lack of python in the cloud image going to impact
their ability to be managed via things like
ansible/puppet/chef/whatever?

This really kind of baffles me.  I would love to hear the reasoning behind it.

josh