Fedora 22 is out, Fedora 23 is coming :)

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 4 16:54:06 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 12:43 PM, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2015, at 12:31 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> If you
>> don't have python, you don't have yum/dnf which means updating your
>> kernel in your cloud image at _runtime_ is a PITA.
>
> OSTree has built in support for updating the kernel at "runtime".  The fact
> that it does so atomically in concert with the rest of userspace is an
> important aspect of how it works.
>
> Systems (by default) have two kernels and two userspaces which share storage;
> if both userspace trees reference the same kernel, the storage isn't duplicated.
>
> If you aren't
>> updating your kernels at runtime and are instead relying on the whole
>> image to be respun (ala Atomic or otherwise)
>
> There appears to be some confusion here - Atomic/rpm-ostree is
> definitely capable of incremental upgrades that install a new kernel
> at "runtime", there's no "whole image to be respun".
>
> The tree is currently composed on a build server, not on the client,
> and it is a fresh installroot every time, but clients only download
> objects which have changed.

Right, I know that.  The confusion here isn't about how Atomic works.
The confusion stems from the fact that I thought Atomic was going off
to do its own thing, and the Cloud images would be non-Atomic images.
If that isn't the case, the OK but I've missed that as well.

>> Secondly, isn't a lack of python in the cloud image going to impact
>> their ability to be managed via things like
>> ansible/puppet/chef/whatever?
>
> Mainly Ansible...Chef and Puppet both require agents.

Sure, but ansible is kind of a big thing to lose by default.

josh