Fedora 22 is out, Fedora 23 is coming :)

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 11 15:18:16 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 10:47:00AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > For a practical example: Ansible doesn't currently support Python 3. If
> > we change the cloud image to python3 — as is the expected plan, right?
> Remains to be seen.  I'm skeptical the distro-wide default will switch tbh.

Good to know.

> > — having that system python there doesn't provide any benefit. It's
> > just extra weight.
> Um, ok.  It's extra weight for people that don't use python.  In this

It's extra weight for people who don't use _that_ python.

> case, what would be the solution to getting python on your cloud
> image?  Would you do it via SCL or via some kind of container overlay
> or?

Yes. Or just `dnf install` if the version is right. Just like you would
with ruby or whatever else.

> > The early PRD called for a library of different images for different
> > purposes, in addition to the base, and I think we're still interested
> > in that — it's just not ready yet. That might include various
> > ansible-ready or puppet-ready images, possibly with other tools
> > installed as fits the use case.
> That sounds like it will have all the problems we currently face with
> Spins.  Too many choices, too much burden to produce, too little
> overall benefit for deviation, too niche, too much churn from release
> to release and new tech of the day.  Why would we choose to repeat
> those same mistakes?

I think that's why it hasn't been done yet. The plan would be for them
to be largely auto-generated and auto-tested, unlike spins (which, as
largely desktop/GUI focused outputs, are hard to test automatically).

> While I have no vested interest in Cloud, I'd rather see an image that
> is flexible with utilities for people to customize and build on top of
> even if that means it isn't the tiniest, thinnest image out there.

Oh, it won't be. The tiniest, thinnest images are in the 10MB range.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>