Fedora 22 is out, Fedora 23 is coming :)

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 11 15:22:37 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 11:18 AM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 10:47:00AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> > For a practical example: Ansible doesn't currently support Python 3. If
>> > we change the cloud image to python3 — as is the expected plan, right?
>> Remains to be seen.  I'm skeptical the distro-wide default will switch tbh.
>
> Good to know.
>
>> > — having that system python there doesn't provide any benefit. It's
>> > just extra weight.
>> Um, ok.  It's extra weight for people that don't use python.  In this
>
> It's extra weight for people who don't use _that_ python.
>
>> case, what would be the solution to getting python on your cloud
>> image?  Would you do it via SCL or via some kind of container overlay
>> or?
>
> Yes. Or just `dnf install` if the version is right. Just like you would
> with ruby or whatever else.

dnf requires python (unless you use that C version you pointed out,
which I had other objections to).  Circles anyone?

>> > The early PRD called for a library of different images for different
>> > purposes, in addition to the base, and I think we're still interested
>> > in that — it's just not ready yet. That might include various
>> > ansible-ready or puppet-ready images, possibly with other tools
>> > installed as fits the use case.
>> That sounds like it will have all the problems we currently face with
>> Spins.  Too many choices, too much burden to produce, too little
>> overall benefit for deviation, too niche, too much churn from release
>> to release and new tech of the day.  Why would we choose to repeat
>> those same mistakes?
>
> I think that's why it hasn't been done yet. The plan would be for them
> to be largely auto-generated and auto-tested, unlike spins (which, as
> largely desktop/GUI focused outputs, are hard to test automatically).

That helps with image creation.  It doesn't help with scale, too much
choice, and churn.  Just because something is possible technically,
doesn't mean it is a good idea.

josh