Fedora 22 is out, Fedora 23 is coming :)

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 11 17:12:45 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 12:53:42PM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> You can get around this with on-the-fly image generation as I
> previously mentioned, or by creating a small (and I mean small in
> number not size) set of images that are flexible enough to hit the
> major categories while not being strictly tied 1:1 to a particular
> technology.  E.g. you have a "Cloud Container image" that can be used
> for Docker, rkt, or systemd-nspawn.  Yes, that makes it potentially
> larger in size but it also means you have less to QA, market, and
> carry.

The bitnami link I sent before was probably a bit broad; our previous
dicussions were more around something like this:
<https://bitnami.com/stacks/infrastructure> -- which I think matches
what you are saying. And I *do* think it'd be nice to have an
"app store" built on top of that. First, though, the Cloud Base image,
which is intended to underly all of that (and also be, as we have said,
a generic platform to build up anything).

Size _does_ matter, though, because it translates directly into network
transfer and deploy time. Python is in the crosshairs because it's
relatively large. In fact, with your kernel-core stuff and the glibc
documentation split, it's the biggest thing (coming in just above
systemd).

Well, and linux-firmware, which isn't needed at runtime but is pulled
in for kernel upgrades, and which to my knowledge is not needed in any
cloud environments. You might be the right person to talk to about
figuring out if we can do anything about this.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>