Fedora 22 is out, Fedora 23 is coming :)

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Thu Jun 11 18:05:25 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 7:47 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> That sounds like it will have all the problems we currently face with
> Spins.  Too many choices, too much burden to produce, too little
> overall benefit for deviation, too niche, too much churn from release
> to release and new tech of the day.  Why would we choose to repeat
> those same mistakes?
>
> While I have no vested interest in Cloud, I'd rather see an image that
> is flexible with utilities for people to customize and build on top of
> even if that means it isn't the tiniest, thinnest image out there.
>
> josh

Indeed. Too many choices == nobody will use any of them, they'll go
somewhere else.

I'm probably repeating myself but here's my proposal:

1. Workstation is a winner. Keep it.
2. Replace the spins - yes, *all* of them - with a Netinstall disk
that has selectable kickstart files for installing them. It's close to
that now anyway.
3. I see no need for a separate "cloud hosting" install medium that's
any different from Server. A cloud host *is* a server.
4. Docker base image: keep it, but recognize that there's a *huge*
effort involved in getting users. Ubuntu and CentOS have the lion's
share and the bobcat's share respectively. Debian has a kitten's share
mostly because Docker recommends it. I'm using Fedora, but I'd switch
to CentOS if all the texlive packages I need were in the EPEL
repositories.