Fedora 22 is out, Fedora 23 is coming :)

Matt Micene nzwulfin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 19:37:00 UTC 2015

> I want a premade image I can spin up *immediately*.

Agreed, the purpose of the Cloud Base (per the current PRD) is pre-built
guest images in various IaaS formats and availabilities.

I want it tailored *for that environment* and that's it.

Is where we're at loggerheads.  While cloud environments are operationally
different than bare-metal, it's not useful to most cloud admins to have to
track down and automate huge amounts of packages to get to a working Ruby
on Rails server, and having a major usability difference between Server and
Cloud in that context is going to harm adoption.

To possibly commit a faux pas and talk about RHEL (as a consumer, I'm not a
red hatter), RHEL 6 Base on bare metal and RHEL 6 Base in AWS are
functionally equivalent.  Someone on the inside who knows exactly what the
builds contain can probably pick nits but the differences are mostly
invisible, aside from repo locations.  That's what I think the Cloud SIG
needs to deliver for Fedora Cloud Base.

Spinning up a image *inside* an IaaS environment (from Heat or EC2 console)
slightly faster isn't an advantage if I then lose more time installing
packages over the network, creating a new image to then start using as my
baseline.

The SIG goals from the PRD are

Increase in adoption.
> Third party support / targeting of Fedora Cloud as a platform.

The reduced footprint should do nothing to harm the goals.  I believe that
aggressive attempts at driving size down (refactoring cloud-init and
removing system python) do not have the return that we expect in terms of
the goals over the requirements.

To mangle Einstein "As small as necessary, but no smaller"

- Matt M