qcow2 version woes

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Fri Mar 6 17:00:55 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 05, 2015 at 11:48:08AM -0700, Mike Ruckman wrote:
> Fellow cloudies,
>
> The recent builds of our images are v3 qcow2 (also known as qcow3).
> This presents a problem for our testing, since the openstack instances
> we have access to don't support v3, only v2. The only difference
> between v2 and v3 are some performance enhancements -

Right, just some details on the said performance enhancements in QCOW2
v3 format, from my notes (about a year old) from an earlier discussion
w/ some QEMU developers, the two new features in v3 of QCOW2:

  (1) lazy_refcounts -- A performance optimization interesting only when
  using 'cache=writethrough'. Useful when guest crashes or powers off.

  (2) Zero clusters -- Useful for (disk) image streaming over slow
  networks.

--
/kashyap