Atomic 2 week releases

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Mon Mar 9 15:45:42 UTC 2015

On 03/09/2015 11:34 AM, Michael P. McGrath wrote:
> Hey all, I wanted to start a thread about doing more frequent Atomic releases in Fedora.
> In particular I'd like to start building a new atomic release every two weeks that
> includes the latest version of Docker, Kubernetes, and OSTree for the Fedora Atomic
> images.
>
> The problem I'm trying to solve here is that there is a lot of work going on upstream in
> the Docker and Kubernetes communities and there isn't a very good way to consume that
> upstream work on a Red Hat/Fedora/CentOS system today.  By focusing on more regular
> releases, we can fix some of the issues we've seen (like demoing new features at a
> conference that people can't actually use).
>
> There are still some details to work out like whether to base this image on Fedora
> $CURRENT or rawhide and what to do when the builds fail.  Fortunately, this can possibly
> be done without much additional change to the release process.  We're already rebuilding
> the docker/kubernetes/ostree rpms almost daily, and there are nightly builds as well
> (at least in rawhide).
>
> If we can pull a 2 week process off, I'd like to see that followed by a 4 week process
> in CentOS which will behave similarly but with the slightly slower-moving, more stable bits.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> [1] http://www.projectatomic.io/download/
>
> --
> Mike McGrath | mmcgrath at redhat.com | (312) 660-3547
> Atomic | Red Hat Chicago | http://projectatomic.io/
I guess the question here would be around where we would do the releases?

In a perfect world, I would like to see "Daily" releases in Rawhide, as
long was we had an installable
tree.  Every two weeks would be in Fedora Stable.  If others wanted to
back port to Fedora Stable-1
that would be ok, but I don't see that as the primary focus.

We would be doing a lot of this with the Docker Devel branch, along with
some patches that we are experimenting
with.

I am sure K8s would be doing something similar.