Atomic 2 week releases

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Mon Mar 9 17:17:44 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015, at 12:14 PM, Adam Miller wrote:

> For those not familiar with the current release process of Atomic, can
> you provide a link to documentation on how that is done as well as
> what tooling is involved?

Keep in mind that the original vision for Atomic was *not* to be a distribution itself - merely technology that flows-into/is-consumed-by the 3 distribution family.  So when we're talking about "release process for Atomic", that question is necessarily distribution specific, although the ideal is that they share code.

With that in mind then, for Fedora 21, Atomic is offered solely as a cloud image.  That cloud image though is generated via the "ostreesetup" kickstart verb:
https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/spin-kickstarts.git/tree/fedora-cloud-atomic.ks#n33

This replaces a traditional %packages section; anaconda here is *replicating*, not assembling.  The tree is built on a separate server using rpm-ostree:
https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/releng/tree/scripts/run-pungi#n39

Now for Fedora 22, we're trying to expand the scope:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/AtomicHost

Concurrently, CentOS has two yum repositories: virt7 and atomic7, that contain docker/kubernetes and the ostree/atomic stack, respectively.   These are layers on top of the CentOS7.0 base, distinct from the Fedora "one big repo on one release cycle" model.

These RPMs are built using the CentOS CBS Koji: http://cbs.centos.org/koji/
Then for Atomic, the RPMs are composed into a tree by a script.

We're still working on an Anaconda based CentOS, as backporting the ostreesetup changes has proved very painful.  That problem should sort itself out over time however.

Right now, I am looking at:
https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/6119
to further the Fedora integration.