Atomic 2 week releases

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Mon Mar 9 17:40:39 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015, at 11:34 AM, Michael P. McGrath wrote:
> Hey all, I wanted to start a thread about doing more frequent Atomic releases in Fedora.
> In particular I'd like to start building a new atomic release every two weeks that
> includes the latest version of Docker, Kubernetes, and OSTree for the Fedora Atomic
> images.

There's also other components; while etcd and flannel could be thought of as "kubernetes enablers"
and fall under the same umbrella, they are distinct projects with their own release cycle.

Also, it's worth keeping in mind that it would be nice if we made more use of newer systemd
features, which is a big project with its own cycle.

Finally, I'll also note that rpm-ostree does link to the packaging stack (libhif -> hawkey/librepo)
which necessarily implies some ties to the cycle of those components.

> There are still some details to work out like whether to base this image on Fedora
> $CURRENT or rawhide and what to do when the builds fail.

Not just build failure, but runtime failure.

> Fortunately, this can possibly
> be done without much additional change to the release process.  We're already rebuilding
> the docker/kubernetes/ostree rpms almost daily, and there are nightly builds as well
> (at least in rawhide).

I'm not actually doing the ostree side very often right now, but that will hopefully
change as more user-visible features land.

Anyways, the bottom line for me on this is:

Before we can do two weeks, we need to be able to do rawhide.  There are parts
of this that work (tree and cloud images are carryover from F22), but the installer
and PXE-to-Live are blocked on:
https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/6119