Atomic 2 week releases

Adam Miller maxamillion at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 10 16:32:47 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 5:35 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb at znmeb.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 8:34 AM, Michael P. McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hey all, I wanted to start a thread about doing more frequent Atomic releases in Fedora.
>> In particular I'd like to start building a new atomic release every two weeks that
>> includes the latest version of Docker, Kubernetes, and OSTree for the Fedora Atomic
>> images.
>>
>> The problem I'm trying to solve here is that there is a lot of work going on upstream in
>> the Docker and Kubernetes communities and there isn't a very good way to consume that
>> upstream work on a Red Hat/Fedora/CentOS system today.  By focusing on more regular
>> releases, we can fix some of the issues we've seen (like demoing new features at a
>> conference that people can't actually use).
>
> <rant>
> IMHO RHEL/CentOS have got to be solid / stable / secure, etc.
> Documented, tested, ready to build *production* services upon.
> Training, professional certification - the works!
>
> Docker may be there - I've only played with it for about six months
> and aside from some annoying SELinux phenomena, it seems to be good
> and it's definitely popular.
>
> But Atomic and Kubernetes? Where's the documentation? "Use the source,
> Luke" is not an acceptable answer.
>
> So please ... have at it in Fedora, I'll be a willing guinea pig and
> all that. But RHEL/CentOS? Please wait till it has some mileage on it
> in Fedora.
> </rant>

I think the proposal here isn't to impede directly on any of these
distribution's core releases but instead to add an Atomic Release.
Effectively what is currently available will continue to be available
exactly as it is, but if you are interested in releases of these
distros based on the upstream Atomic toolset, this is the proposed
release cadence for it.

-AdamM