Atomic 2 week releases

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 10 19:18:14 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 01:09:16PM -0400, Michael P. McGrath wrote:
> Stable in current, devel in rawhide.  We just don't yet have the toolchains to
> split different versions of our packages onto the same Fedora.  We'll have to
> see if there's a way to do it when Adam joins up.

If it turns out to be important, we could also consider one of:

   1. Versioned packages!
      http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#MultiplePackages
      This'd be a little easier if the stable version numbers lasted a
      long time. Possibly we could get an exception and carry something
      like 'docker-dev' as a sparate package. I don't think we'd want
      to do this for whole stacks, though.
   2. Software collections. This is *so close* to being an actual
      thing, and it _might_ be a way.

But I think that if we do need things to go at a separate cadence,
rpm-ostree gives us a helpful layer of separation, because if we had a
side tag in koji or even a whole new repo meant to be layered, those
wouldn't need to be enabled on anyone's actual system — just for ostree
compose. That's probably getting ahead of things here, though. :)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>