Atomic 2 week releases

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 10 22:37:28 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 3:48 PM, Adam Miller
<maxamillion at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 1:59 PM, Joe Brockmeier <jzb at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 03/10/2015 02:53 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
>>> So, I'm wondering if for F22 (or F23, if we feel like that ship is out
>>> in the harbor losing sight of land already), we want to do one of two
>>> things:
>>>
>>> A. Move Atomic out of the Cloud Edition, and treat it as a spin, with a
>>>    home at "http://atomic.fedoraproject.org/" (not currently valid),
>>>    similar to http://kde.fedoraproject.org -- with its own design, theming,
>>>    etc.
>>>
>>>    Here, the Cloud WG / Cloud SIG would focus more on cloud/virt-guest
>>>    issues, and possible also cloud infrastructure (openstack,
>>>    eucalyptus, etc., which we have kind of let fall to the wayside).
>>>    The Cloud Base image would be the primary Fedora Edition, and Fedora
>>>    Atomic would be more ... stand-alone.
>>>
>>> B. The other way around: double down on Atomic as the primary thing the
>>>    Cloud WG releases as the Fedora cloud product. Here, the focus would be
>>>    more on containers as the basis for the future of "cattle-style"
>>>    scale-out computing, and Atomic as Fedora's cool solution for that.
>>>    The Cloud Base image would be the one changed into a spin -- after
>>>    all, going back to the Lego metaphor for the Fedora editions, the
>>>    products are supposed to be focused on "batteries included"
>>>    solutions, and while an awesome building block, the minimal base
>>>    doesn't quite do that.
>>>
>>> C. Nah, keep doing the two different things and present in parallel, as
>>>    we've been doing.
>>
>> Let's discuss this at this week's meeting? My gut is to pursue Atomic as
>> a spin (A) rather than asking the Cloud WG to double-down on Atomic, but
>> maybe the rest of the Working Group feels differently...
>>

> FWIW +1 for Spin (A)

Please consider this in-depth.  A Spin might sound good for a number
of reasons and those might be the most important factor.  However at
the moment with Atomic being a deliverable of the Cloud Edition, its
placement in the various websites and promotion is rather high.  The
Spins are not at the same level as the Editions in terms of reach and
impact.  Atomic could make its own promotion through various means,
but get.fedoraproject.org is not going to list Workstation, Server,
Cloud, and Atomic if it moves to a Spin.

I know Stephen is working on how Spins and other non-Edition images
are dealt with, and the Council is very interested in this as well.
That isn't in place yet, and to be honest I would be surprised if it
was for F22 at all.  Perhaps Atomic has enough momentum that a change
here won't matter, but it is at least something everyone should be
aware of.

josh