Atomic 2 week releases

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 10 22:41:21 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 6:37 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 3:48 PM, Adam Miller
> <maxamillion at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

>>> Let's discuss this at this week's meeting? My gut is to pursue Atomic as
>>> a spin (A) rather than asking the Cloud WG to double-down on Atomic, but
>>> maybe the rest of the Working Group feels differently...
>>>

>> FWIW +1 for Spin (A)
>
> Please consider this in-depth.  A Spin might sound good for a number
> of reasons and those might be the most important factor.  However at
> the moment with Atomic being a deliverable of the Cloud Edition, its
> placement in the various websites and promotion is rather high.  The
> Spins are not at the same level as the Editions in terms of reach and
> impact.  Atomic could make its own promotion through various means,
> but get.fedoraproject.org is not going to list Workstation, Server,
> Cloud, and Atomic if it moves to a Spin.
>
> I know Stephen is working on how Spins and other non-Edition images
> are dealt with, and the Council is very interested in this as well.
> That isn't in place yet, and to be honest I would be surprised if it
> was for F22 at all.  Perhaps Atomic has enough momentum that a change
> here won't matter, but it is at least something everyone should be
> aware of.

Addendum:

For all I know, Atomic might be such a hot ticket item in the Cloud
world that moving it to a Spin would detract from the Fedora Cloud
Edition itself.  I was not meaning to imply one way or another that
Atomic is reliant on Cloud or vice versa.  I simply want to point out
the less technical aspects of such a move.

josh