Atomic 2 week releases

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Wed Mar 11 14:52:05 UTC 2015

Sorry I replied to this earlier but seems it got lost somewhere, or maybe I
just thought I did, either way

On Monday, March 09, 2015 01:17:44 PM Colin Walters wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2015, at 12:14 PM, Adam Miller wrote:
> > For those not familiar with the current release process of Atomic, can
> > you provide a link to documentation on how that is done as well as
> > what tooling is involved?
>
> Keep in mind that the original vision for Atomic was *not* to be a
> distribution itself - merely technology that flows-into/is-consumed-by the
> 3 distribution family.  So when we're talking about "release process for
> Atomic", that question is necessarily distribution specific, although the
> ideal is that they share code.
>
> With that in mind then, for Fedora 21, Atomic is offered solely as a cloud
> image.  That cloud image though is generated via the "ostreesetup"
> kickstart verb:
> https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/spin-kickstarts.git/tree/fedora-cloud-ato
> mic.ks#n33
>
> This replaces a traditional %packages section; anaconda here is
> *replicating*, not assembling.  The tree is built on a separate server
> using rpm-ostree:
> https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/releng/tree/scripts/run-pungi#n39

This is not entirely true, it is just part of the picture. You can install on
bare metal using anaconda with extlinux, exactly the same as we do to make the
cloud image. But it is not advertised or really well documented.

We make trees with every updates push in Fedora 21 so you always have the
latest bits available.

we make nightly rawhide and branched trees as well as milestone trees for
Fedora composes.  the nightly compose process also installs the trees into
cloud and vagrant images. the same atomic images we have in Fedora 22 on.

Dennis