Vagrant mounting /var/lib/docker?

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Mar 17 18:08:07 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015, at 11:29 AM, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Any Vagrant wizards around? I'd like to figure out how to mount a
> directory on my local host as /var/lib/docker for the Atomic Vagrant
> boxen - so users don't have to worry about other ways of expanding the
> storage to putter around with Atomic and running containers

It doesn't really work to sync content into /var/lib/docker behind the
daemon's back.

Running a local caching registry is one option (say on a "master" box,
and configuring nodes to pull from it it).  That saves you download
time, but not storage.

It would also be possible to use something like Ceph/Gluster to
store images between VMs (patches for Docker exist), but then you
lose the LVM copy-on-write.  Overlayfs would solve this
by allowing per-node writes to stay in the machine's storage pool,
while drawing read-only data from elsewhere.